Tempted, Tried, and Triumphant | Dr. Stephen Conley
February 14, 2021 Preacher: Pastor Stephen Series: The Gospel of Mark
Topic: Temptation Scripture: Mark 1:12–13, Matthew 4:1–11
Texts: Mark 1:12-13; Matthew 4:1-11
The Setting of Christ’s Temptation (Mark 1:12-13)
- Christ’s temptation is set in the wilderness without food or worldly comforts.
- Christ’s temptation was Satan’s strategic assault on His mission to the cross.
The Schemes of Satan’s Temptation (Matt. 4:1-11)
- The temptation of self-sufficiency
- The temptation of self-preservation
- The temptation of self-exaltation
The Strategy of Christ’s Triumph over Temptation (Matt. 4:1-11)
- In each encounter with Satan, Christ wielded the Word of God as His weapon against Satan’s schemes.
- Like Christ, we must trust in God’s sufficient Word for victory over temptation.
More in The Gospel of Mark
April 23, 2023The Extraordinary Ending to Mark's Gospel
April 9, 2023Jesus and His Astonishing Resurrection
April 2, 2023Jesus and His Atoning Death