Jesus Defines True Greatness
Topic: Humility Scripture: Mark 9:30–9:41
Text: Mark 9:30-41
The Standard of True Humility Modeled and Misunderstood (9:30-32)
- Jesus predicts His death and resurrection a second time.
- The disciples misunderstand and reject Jesus’ statement.
- Jesus displays the ultimate model of humility as He carries out His mission (see also Philippians 2:5-11).
The Scale of True Greatness Measured and Illustrated (9:33-37)
- The disciples measure greatness by being first and ruler of all
- Jesus measures greatness by being last and servant of all
- Jesus illustrates greatness through child-like weakness and dependence
The Scope of True Ministry Miscalculated and Undervalued (9:38-41)
- The disciples thought that the scope of Gospel ministry was limited to their location and experience.
- Jesus taught that the scope of Gospel ministry extends to all who do mighty works in His name.
- Jesus clarified that these “mighty works” include the smallest acts of service.