February 19, 2023
Jesus and the Test of Gethsemane
Text: Mark 14:32-42
The Sorrowing Savior (Mark 14:32-34)
- Jesus entered Gethsemane with His disciples in watchful prayer.
- Jesus continued in Gethsemane under pressing anguish and distress.
- Jesus enters our sorrow as our ultimate High priest (Hebrews 4:15; 5:7-10)
The Submissive Savior (Mark 14:35-36)
- Jesus displays His perfect humanity in Gethsemane.
- Jesus prays for the cup of God’s wrath to be removed.
- Jesus submitted Himself to the will of His Father as our substitute and example.
The Slumbering Disciples (Mark 14:37-42)
- Jesus exhorts His disciples to watchful prayer amid temptation’s warfare.
- Jesus finds His disciples sleeping instead of praying.
- Jesus passes the test of Gethsemane with undaunted courage and unparalleled love.
other sermons in this series