Jesus and the Test of Gethsemane
February 19, 2023 Preacher: Stephen Conley Series: The Gospel of Mark
Topic: Christ Scripture: Mark 14:32–42
Text: Mark 14:32-42
The Sorrowing Savior (Mark 14:32-34)
- Jesus entered Gethsemane with His disciples in watchful prayer.
- Jesus continued in Gethsemane under pressing anguish and distress.
- Jesus enters our sorrow as our ultimate High priest (Hebrews 4:15; 5:7-10)
The Submissive Savior (Mark 14:35-36)
- Jesus displays His perfect humanity in Gethsemane.
- Jesus prays for the cup of God’s wrath to be removed.
- Jesus submitted Himself to the will of His Father as our substitute and example.
The Slumbering Disciples (Mark 14:37-42)
- Jesus exhorts His disciples to watchful prayer amid temptation’s warfare.
- Jesus finds His disciples sleeping instead of praying.
- Jesus passes the test of Gethsemane with undaunted courage and unparalleled love.
More in The Gospel of Mark
March 26, 2023Jesus the Crucified Savior
March 19, 2023Jesus Stands Before Pilate
March 12, 2023Jesus and Peter's Denial