The Increase and Decrease of John the Baptist
Topic: Gospel Scripture: Mark 6:14–6:29
Text: Mark 6:14-29
The Christ-Exalting Integrity of John the Baptist (John 1:19-29; 3:25-30)
- He was marked by self-denial and humility.
- He found contentment and joy in the role God gave him.
- He lived to see Christ and His ministry increase and see himself decrease.
The Christ-Denying Corruption of Herod the King (Mark 6:14-29)
- He was a slave to his own lusts (his wife was a slave to her own hate).
- He was a captive of his own fears.
- He had a conscience that was defiled by his own sinful choices.
- He was intrigued by Jesus, but never submitted to Him and His message (see Luke 23:6-11).