Jesus and the Challenge of Authority
Topic: Authority Scripture: Mark 11:27–11:33
Text: Mark 11:27-33
The Serious Challenge to Christ’s Authority (11:27-28)
- The religious leaders questioned Jesus on His authority over the Temple and His teaching.
- The religious leaders’ aim was to discredit and destroy Jesus.
The Stunning Consequence of Christ’s Question (11:29-32)
- Jesus confounds the religious leaders with a question regarding John’s baptism.
- The religious leaders are no match for Christ’s authoritative response.
The Startling Conclusion to Christ’s Statement (11:33)
- The religious leaders respond with lies to protect themselves.
- Jesus had definitively proven His divine authority by His words and deeds.