Jesus, the Rejected Cornerstone
Topic: Gospel Scripture: Mark 12:1–12:12
Text: Mark 12:1-12
The Parable Describes Israel’s Recorded History in Scripture (12:1-9)
- The vineyard in this passage refers to Israel.
- The vineyard owner refers to God.
- The servants of the vineyard owner refer to the prophets who were sent by God to the people.
- The vineyard tenants refer to the Israelites who rejected the prophets
- Consider these passages: Is. 5:1-7; Jer. 7:21-26; Matt. 23:29-39
The Parable Depicts Christ’s Rejection and Redemption on the Cross (12:10-12)
- Jesus is the Son who was prophesied and sent to save His people.
- Jesus would be rejected and suffer death on the cross for our redemption (Jews and Gentiles alike).
- Consider these passages: Ps. 118:22; Is. 53:3-5; Mark 8:31, Mark 10:33-34; John 1:11-12; 1 Peter 2:4-10