Jesus Faces His Betrayal
Text: Mark 14:43-52
The Covert Corruption of the Crowd (Mark 14:43)
- Jesus is met by a crowd of over 600 under the cover of secrecy and darkness to take Him by force illegally.
- The crowd consisted of Judas, chief priests, scribes, elders, and soldiers.
The Unmasked Treachery of Judas (Mark 14:44-46)
- Jesus unmasks Judas for the hypocrite and betrayer that he was in his heart.
- Judas betrays Jesus as He predicted at the Passover meal.
- “Judas stands as a warning about the evil potential of spiritual carelessness, squandered opportunity, sinful lusts, and hardness of the heart.” (MacArthur)
The Reckless Desertion of the Disciples (Mark 14:47,50)
- Peter makes a bold and reckless move to prove his worth.
- The disciples abandon Jesus just as He predicted.
The Majestic Composure of Jesus (Mark 14:48-52)
- Jesus triumphantly stays calm and stands firm under pressure.
- Jesus is in complete control as He accomplishes His mission and fulfills the Scriptures.
other sermons in this series