January 7, 2024
An Overview of Colossians
Text: Colossians 1:1-2
The Author of Colossians
- The human author of this book is the Apostle Paul, who also penned 13 letters of the New Testament.
- Paul was redeemed by God’s grace and became a missionary for the Gospel’s sake.
The Audience of Colossians
- Paul wrote this letter to the church at Colossae from prison in Rome between A.D. 60-62, before his eventual martyrdom in A.D. 64.
- Paul was confronting false teaching by pointing the Colossian church to hope in the supremacy and sufficiency of Christ.
The Aim of Colossians
- The theology of Colossians centers on Christ’s supremacy and sufficiency as it is worked out within the believer’s life.
- Paul set out to proclaim Christ so that we may become mature in Christ (Colossians 1:18, 28).
other sermons in this series